Skip to main content

When Mental Health and Physical Health Collide

(Can this pug just become Young and Sick's mascot? Okay, thanks, this is a thing that is happening.)

Having both a mental illness and a chronic illness is kind of like this:


On your good days, you manage to be okay both mentally and physically. On your worst days, well... you're Leslie Knope falling head first into a pit. (If you haven't seen Parks and Recreation, please do so now.)

It can be so frustrating because when you finally have a good day without pain or a good day without anxiety, then your other illness is just waiting in the wings, ready to mess you up.

Additionally, both of them play into each other. Was your anxiety caused by your sky-high pain levels, or was your crushing headache caused by the anxiety constricting your lungs and making you worry about everything? Who really knows? If you're depressed, sometimes you get even more depressed because your joints ache and everything hurts, even your soul.

It's a hard thing to battle both your body and your mind.

Sometimes, it's hard to keep your head above the water. I know this. I get it. Mental illness is hard, period, with or without a chronic illness. It just plain sucks. Our bodies and minds can sometimes be a prison, turning against us, and it's hard. And I wish I had more answers, but I do know this:


Sometimes it's okay if the only thing you did today was breathe.

So, when your body and your mind decide to gang up on you, have patience with yourself. Remember: it's okay to not be okay. Give yourself grace to not be good, to be upset, to be in pain. Focus on rest and recovery. Take care of yourself, be good to yourself. Keep breathing. Somehow, it's going to be okay. I promise.

Comments

  1. Great post! physical and mental battles are so hard on their own but then put them together, sheesh! Some days I get so overwhelmed and I feel like I can't go on. Something I remind myself often is: "do the next thing. however small, just do the next thing you need to do." it might be getting a drink of water, sitting up in bed, going to the store to get food, texting a friend, watching netflix, whatever it is, just focus on the very next thing I need to do to keep my head above water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I really needed to hear this today. Thank you so much for doing this blog, it's so encouraging to know that I'm not... messed up, you know? I mean, I'm messed up, but it's not... just... me... (*coughs* That sounded way better in my head and I have no idea how to rephrase it, sorry ;P)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been so behind on blog reading lately! I've only just caught up on all the posts here, and I wanted to say how much it means to me what you do here. It's so very encouraging! You're amazing, Sky. <3

    Also, I totally vote the blanket pug as the mascot!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In Which I Spill the Beans :: My Life Story

Pain. It’s a warning. A flash of red against your eyelids, a stabbing sensation in your thigh. It’s what you feel when you stub your toe or when you hit your head on the doorway because you’re a 6’7” basketball player. Pain is what your body does when there’s something wrong. And it’s what I experience every day. But first, let me back up sixteen years. I was born. (Duh.) But the circumstances leading up to it are… intense, to say the least. If you were watching a movie of my life, I think you’d most likely be on the edge of your seat. At least, I’ve been on the edge of my seat for my life. My parents almost lost me twice; the first when my mom started bleeding during the pregnancy, and the second time happened when I was (trying) to come out and be born into the world. Oh, and there was actually a third time, which happened when I had to have heart surgery at only two days old. But I made it through. Fast forward to the present day. Remember my lovely metaphors for pain at the beginni

My Thorn :: A Guest Post by Ashley

I don’t talk about it much online, and I really don’t have a true reason, other than, I honestly don’t think about it much anymore. But, a dear friend (Oh how much more she has gone through) sparked the inspiration to talk about my thorn. I have Knee Bursitis. Bursitis is a condition where the padding in your joints (called Bursea) becomes inflamed. It’s pretty painful at times. Thankfully, it isn’t an all the time ache (Thank the Lord) but when it does, it can get pretty crippling.   I’m not going to go into much detail over it, except, that when you can’t run, or be terribly active because otherwise, your knees feel like they are about to crumble, and make you fall, you feel....awkward.  It’s no fun having to sit out at your brother’s 5K races, and tell everyone “I don’t like running” when, there is nothing you;d like more then being able to try at least once.  When all your friends try goading you into running on Thursday nights with them, and you can’t, because you know all to wel

Meet Kayla

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally brethren whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and is anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. —Philippians 4:6-8 (NASB) My name is Kayla Woodhouse. I am a Christian, a David Phelps “Phan”, a swimmer, an author, an artist, a music freak, and more. Sounds normal, huh? Well, think again! (I personally think that no one is normal… and that normal is “so overrated”…) :) Before I tell you anything more about myself, though, I’d like to explain that I am a firm believer in God. And I also believe with everything in me that God “knows the plans [He] has for [us], plans to prosper [us] and not to harm [us], plans to give [us] hope and